The title is a bit unoriginal but the product is 100% original! The reason I love my super hydrating DIY chocolate vanilla bean body butter recipe (and all other beauty and bath projects) is because of their simplicity and the ability to fully customize the finished product. And let’s not even mention the amount of articles or stories of people having terrible reactions to chemicals commonly found in our beauty supplies.
Tons of people have cancelled Eco Styler Gel because some of the chemicals used to make the gel cause cancer. Well, a lot of products these days cause cancer. Not for nothing, but our “safe” drinking water has been known to cause lead poisoning (Flint) and almost all processed foods have been known to cause high blood pressure, weight gain, or cancer (sometimes all 3). So in order for me to get off the storemade brands, I realized I need to start making my own products.
Please note that any one of these ingredients can be substituted for an ingredient you prefer more. Just keep the ratio of liquid to solid as even as possible (I count coconut oil as a liquid, fyi).
So here’s what I do to get extra hydrated skin without all the processing chemicals:
The Shopping List
- Cocoa Butter 1 cup
- Coconut Oil 1/2 cup
- Sweet Almond Oil 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Bean 1 each
- Melt the cocoa butter in a double boiler (this could take a while).
- Add in the coconut oil until completed melted.
- Remove hot oils from heat and cool for 30 minutes.
- Grind the vanilla bean in a mortar & pestle.
- Stir the vanilla bean and sweet almond oil into the cooled oil mixture.
- Place oil in freezer to chill. Allow the oil to only partially freeze (about 20 minutes. You want it to be still somewhat flexible.
- Whip the mixture with an electric mixer or in a food processor until a fluffy- consistency is achieved.
- Spoon into an airtight glass jar (Mason Jar for example). This product will last for 3 months and does not require any preservatives.
If anyone else would like to start making their own products, continue to follow my DIY journey here! I will leave on my recipes for you in my Beauty tab. Please, please, please, tell me if you’ve made anything DIY and how did it turn out for you.